Very easily the hardest project I’ve worked on to date! A 30* (probably more like 20*), huge quilt! It’s got horizontal baffles at the feet so I can puff up the middle (which is why it does look partially understuffed when laying flat) and increase the amount of down where I want it most. It also has a horizontal collar that realistically was overstuffed (0.5oz down in there) but adds length to the quilt and a ton of warmth, closing in all that heat around my neck and shoulders.
It weighs 18.34oz, and was stuffed with ~11.5oz of 950 FP water resistant white goose down. I used 0.66oz membrane taffeta, 1/16” shock cord, four cord locks, 6x 3/8” grosgrain ribbon tieouts, 6x snaps, which accounted for the other ~6.8oz of weight.
It’s 52” across without the 3” wings, 78” long.
I sourced the down as ethically as I could, but the project still involved the death of geese. I do wish that we could create a synthetic insulation that was more powerful than this down. Unfortunately, so far evolution has best solved the problem.
I took my time with this project and even so made plenty of mistakes — the main one being that the tension across baffling materials MUST be exactly equal for both sides of the baffles, otherwise they will pull ever so slightly and reduce your total volume, again, slightly. This is noticeable in how the baffles sometimes have a zig zag direction on the top 3/4th of the quilt.
I was incredibly frustrated but persisted and it ended up not being a big deal, the quilt lofts incredibly at 2.5”-2.75”. The amount of down used at the top of the quilt really does contract the width of the quilt dramatically.
Three tie outs isn’t a lot but I frankly don’t think I need more, so far it’s amazing.